MEMBER RIGHTS & RESPONSIBILITIES
Members in good standing are entitled to:
- Attend and participate in membership meetings
- Access the Chatham-Kent Landlord Association website:
- Post and manage advertisements for personally owned (or managed) rental properties at no charge;
- Access RENTCHECK rent/credit bureau screening resources and enjoy membership discounts;
- Seek references using the Member Tenant Inquiry system;
- Access Member-Only resources, including Landlord Tenant Board forms and applications.
- Advertise rental properties as RentSmart friendly;
- Enjoy discounts offered by ‘Preferred Suppliers’ by presenting a valid CKLA membership card.
Members are obligated to
- Attend a RentSmart-Landlord course within 180 days of initial membership;
- Adhere to Residential Tenancies Act;
- Adhere to the Ontario Human Rights Code;
- Adhere to the Personal Information and Protection of Electronics Document Act in all dealings with tenants;
- Maintain member profile on the CKLA website;
- Attend a minimum of 2 meetings per calendar year;
- Protect and preserve the Association and its reputation;
- Membership is not transferable.
Termination of Membership
A membership in the Association is deemed have been terminated when:
- the member dies;
- the member is no longer in good standing:
- the member fails to pay annual dues;
- the member knowingly or repeatedly violates:
- the Residential Tenancies Act;
- the Ontario Human Rights Code;
- the Personal Information and Protection of Electronics Document Act
- uses the Member Tenant Inquiry feature without obtaining written consent of the tenant applicant;
- For any other reason that the board in its sole and absolute discretion considers to be reasonable.